Orlando, Fla. - Lynn University's women's swimming team sent four swimmers to the finals and is in fifth place after the first day of competition in the Sunshine State Conference Championship. Among the finals swimmers was Fatimah Westbrook, who became the first 50 freestyle finalist in program history.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Location: YMCA Orlando Aquatic Center | Orlando, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn sent four swimmers into the pool for the 200 individual medley with Sarah Hughes earning an 'A' finals appearance and Laia Coma putting herself into the 'B' finals. Megan Carlson swam a 2:14.99 and Kayla Smith timed a 2:16.95.
- Hughes posted an NCAA DII 'B' cut time of 2:05.42 to place fifth in the finals. Coma clocked in at 2:12.10 to place eighth in the 'B' finals.
- Five Fighting Knights participated in the 50 freestyle but it was Westbrook as the lone representative in the finals. Sarah Nichols was timed at 24.65, Kaitlin Armstrong 25.96, Tara Lunsford 26.81 and Elizabeth Harris 27.41.
- Westbrook swam her best, and NCAA DII B time of 23.96 in the preliminaries and a 23.99 to take eighth in the 'A' finals.
- Kasey Swartley earned valuable points in the 1000 freestyle, taking 16th with a time of 10:46.17.
- Catalina Berraud-Galea then placed sixth in the 1000 free, tapping the wall in 10:19.73, a NCAA Division II B cut time.
- Lynn added times of 1:47.04 and 1:55.65 in the 200 medley relay.
Lynn is back in the pool for day two beginning at 10 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 17. Teams will compete in the 400 IM, 100 butterfly and 200 free individual events and 400 medley relay.