BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's seniors ruled the pool on senior day as the Fighting Knights outlast Millersville 859 to 563 at the 4th Annual Lynn Sprint Invite. The four seniors, Catalina Berraud-Galea, Laia Coma, Sarah Hughes and Aliah Maginley, combined to win six events while the Blue & White claimed the top spot in all 13 events in total.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn dominated the pool right from the opening whistle as the 200 medley relay 'A' team (Karolina Smylek, Hughes, Clara Monges and Coma) tapped the wall first in 1:51.46, ahead of the 'B' team (Anita Fields, Grace Armit, Sarah Nichols, Berraud-Galea) was second at 1:58.12. The 'C' team (Sydney Keefe, Shelby McKeever, Savanna Suggs and Maginley) placed fifth.
- Berraud-Galea (1:59.08), Khacha (2:00.72) and Susan Faremouth (2:00.91) were first through third in the 200 free, while Keefe (2:12.62) and Maginley (2:13.53) were fifth and seventh.
- Smylek (1:00.85) led a contingent of four Lynn swimmers in the 100 backstroke, followed by Coma (1:01.96) and Field (1:06.29). Keefe was sixth.
- Hughes won the first of three individual events in the 100 breaststroke (1:09.38), placing ahead of Khacha (1:14.33) and Armit (1:14.38) in a tightly contested second-place battle. McKeever (1:18.18) and Suggs (1:19.51) were fifth and seventh.
- The Fighting Knights placed one through five in the 50 butterfly. Monges (27.88) emerged on top followed by Hughes (28.23), Smylek (28.47), Nichols (28.63) and Faremouth (28.87).
- Coma topped Alexis Shollenberger by three-hundredths of a second (26.83 to 26.86) in the closest finish on the day in the 50 free. Monges (28.36), Nichols (28.55) and Armit (28.81) were fourth through sixth and Suggs (30.32) was eighth.
- Monges was the first of five in the 100 free clocking a time of 56.41). Nichols followed with a 58.14 while Field (59.53), Keefe (1:02.31) and Maginley (1:02.50) were third through sixth.
- Millersville's three swimmers in the 50 backstroke were bookended by two Knights as Smylek (28.52) and coma (29.28) were first and second and Berraud-Galea (31.83) and Field (31.89) were sixth and seventh.
- It was Hughes (32.93) who emerged triumphant in the 50 breast ahead of fellow senior Berraud-Galea (35.12) and Armit (35.32). McKeever (36.43) and Sugges (36.72) were fifth and sixth.
- Berraud-Galea had a comfortable victory in the 500 free (5:09.59) with Khacha (52.77) and Faremouth (5:23.18) second and third. Maginley was fifth.
- Smylek (1:01.93), Nichols (1:03.43) and Faremouth (1:04.13) took the top-three spots in the 100 fly.
- Hughes (1:02.91) won her final home event in the 100 individual medley, besting Khacha (1:04.51), Coma (1:05.16), Suggs (1:13.37) and McKeever (1:13.44).
- The day ended in perfect fashion with a 1:45.40 time for the 'A' 200 free relay team of Monges, Field, Faremouth and Khacha. The 'B' team of Armit, Maginley, Keefe and KcKeever placed third (1:55.11).
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- The Blue and White earned the top-three podium positions over the first four individual events and eight overall.
- This was the first time Lynn swam the 50 fly and 50 breaststroke during the season.
- Khacha swam the 100 breast for the first time in her career.
- Berraud-Galea swam the first 50 breast of her career and just the second 50 backstroke.
- Coma and Khacha's times in the 100 IM were personal-bests.
Lynn is back in the pool for a tri-meet against Florida Tech and Saint Leo in Melbourne, Fla., on Saturday, Jan. 26. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.