Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's women's swimming team dominated its final tune-up before the Sunshine State Conference Championship, defeating Rollins 162-100 on Saturday afternoon. Sarah Hughes won four of the team's 11 events while Cataline Berraud-Galea, Samar Khacha, Clara Monges and Karolina Smylek each claimed multiple event victories.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights took the top position in the 400 medley relay, 1000 free style, 200 free, 100 backstroke, 100 breaststroke, 200 butterfly, 200 back, 200 breast, 500 free, 100 fly and 200 IM.
- Lynn also earned runner-up finishes in the 1000 free, 100 back, 200 fly, 100 free, 500 free, 200 IM and 400 FR.
- The 'A' 400 medley relay team of Smylek, Hughes, Monges and Laia Coma won by 12 seconds. Lynn's 'B' team (Anita Field, Grace Armit, Sarah Nichols, Alyson Currao) were timed at 4:13.41.
- Berraud-Galea claimed the first of two wins in the 1000 free (10:34.35) with Susan Faremouth trailing in second (10:53.69) and Khacha rounding out the top-three podium at 10:58.65.
- Monges (1:57.44) and Nichols (1:57.64) placed first and third with Armit timing at 2:04.44 in the 200 free.
- Smylek won her second of three events in the 100 back (1:00.10). Coma (1:01.64) and Field (1:03.71) helped Lynn sweep the top-three positions. Tatiana St. Juste (1:05.59) and Sydney Keefe (1:08.59) also competed.
- Hughes started her run of victories in the 100 breast with a time of 1:08.41. Shelby McKeever (1:16.15) and Savanna Suggs (1:16.72) also competed.
- Khacha (2:10.70) topped teammate Faremouth (2:12.28) by two seconds to win the 200 fly.
- The Fighting Knights failed two win the next two events, the 50 & 100 free. Currao was the top finisher in the 50 in a time of 25.71 while Berraud-Galea was runner-up in the 100 free at 55.97.
- Smylek posted a time of 2:11.13 to win the 200 back while Field (2:18.18) was third and Keefe (2:27.19) was seventh.
- Khacha earned the rare 200 breast victory in a time of 2:31.29. Grace Armit swam a time of 2:37.42 and McKeever a time of 2:44.19.
- Berraud-Galea continued to dominate the distance events with a 500 free victory (5:09.81). Faremouth earned a third runner-up finish with a time of 5:22.70. Aliah Maginley swam a time of 5:45.70.
- Hughes would earn back-to-back event victories, first tapping the wall in 59.19 in the 100 fly before a 200 IM time of 2:10.93.
- Lynn ended the afternoon by taking second (3:41.87), fourth (3:50.13) and sixth (4:12.36) in the 400 free relay.
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- This is the 8th dual meet victory over Rollins in program history, tying for the most against a single institution (Florida Tech).
- Susan Faremouth and Samar Khacha swam personal-best times in the 1000 free while Khacha also swam a PB in the 200 breast and 200 fly.
- This marks the second meet this season Lynn won at least 11 events (4th Annual Sprint Invite).
Lynn begins competition in the SSC Championship on Thursday, Feb. 21, thru Sunday, Feb. 24. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.