Clearwater, Fla. – Another day and two more medals for Lynn University's swimming team at the 2019 Sunshine State Conference Championships. Sarah Hughes medaled for the third time while Karolina Smylek became the first swimmer in program history to medal in the 100 backstroke. The Fighting Knights dropped to fourth but are a mere 12 points back of third place.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Score: Lynn (4th) - 274 (Tampa leads with 717)
Location: Long Center Pool | Clearwater, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Evening Session
- Catalina Berraud-Galea earned the first of three 'A' finals for the Blue and White. The senior out of La Pampa, Argentina, was timed at 5:02.76 to take sixth place in the 500 freestyle.
- Lynn earned valuable points in the 100 backstroke where both Laia Coma and Anita Field qualified for the 'B' finals. Coma was timed at 58.38 to finish third with Field clocking in at 58.83 to place seventh.
- Smylek entered into the 100 back 'A' final as the third seed but beat her preliminary time by almost a second by tapping the wall in 55.48 to earn the silver medal.
- Hughes continued her strong SSC Championship with her third individual medal. After placing fifth in prelims, the Southampton, England, product produced a third place finish following a swim of 1:02.96.
- Lynn ended the night in the 800 free relay. The A team of Clara Monges, Sarah Nichols, Berraud-Galea and Samar Khacha were timed at 7:41.56 while the B squad (Susan Faremouth, Sydney Keefe, Grace Armit and Field) posted a time of 7:57.49.
- Morning Session
- Faremouth missed out for finals competition in the 500 free by four seconds, clocking in at 5:15.73 while Aliah Maginley posted a time of 5:28.05.
- Tatiana St. Juste was timed at 1:01.67 in the 100 backstroke with Alyson Currao clocking in 1:01.70 and Keefe netting a time of 1:04.13.
- Armit was one second back of reaching the B finals in the 100 breaststroke (1:08.73) while Savanna Suggs (1:11.92) and Shelby McKeever (1:14.44) also competed.
- Faremouth had the top time in the 200 butterfly (2:14.10).
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- Smylek is the first swimmer to medal in the 100 backstroke. Lynn has two medals in the 200 back.
- Smylek and Hughes' medals are the 30th and 31st in program history.
- Hughes' medal is the third of this championship, matching her total from the previous two years combined.
- With one event remaining (200 breast), Hughes is attempting to become only the second swimmer in program history to earn four individual medals in a single SSC Championship (Rebecca Matthews 2015 & 2016).
- 100 back PRs – Smylek topped her mark by two-tenths of a second. Field was one second better than her previous mark and Coma was two-tenths of a second better. St. Juste beat her time by three-tenths of a second and Keefe showed a two second improvement.
- 100 breast PRs – Armit shaved one second, McKeever one second and Suggs five seconds off their previous best times.
Day four of the Sunshine State Conference Championship begins at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 24. Results can be found live on the Meet Mobile app. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.