Valdosta, Ga. – With two returners and two newcomers, Lynn University's women's tennis team had a flawless showing on the first day of the 2017 fall season, winning all of its matches without dropping a set at the ITA South Region Championships.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: ITA 2017 South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Valdosta State University
Location: McKey Park / VSU Tennis Courts | Valdosta, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 22-25
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- All four Fighting Knights competing received a bye in the opening round.
- Diana Bogolii, the highest seeded Fighting Knight at No. 3, dropped Rollins' Teresa Kaiser in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1.
- Tereza Hejlova, returning for her second season in the Blue and White, posted a big win on the day over a ranked opponent. The senior took down No. 10 Brenna Keller of Mississippi College, 6-4, 6-3.
- The two final Fighting Knights looked sharp in their Lynn debuts.
- No. 4 seed Jan Abaza rolled through NSU's Isabella Lowrey – a 2017 All-Sunshine State Conference Second Team selection in doubles – 6-0, 6-1.
- Natalie Kallmunzerova also faced a NSU Shark, defeating Ivana Djordjevic, 6-1, 6-0.
- Both Fighting Knights squads received first-round byes.
- Third-seeded Abaza and Bogolii posted an 8-2 victory in their first career appearance as a tandem.
- Hejlova notched her second upset of the day, pairing up with Kallmunzerova for an 8-3 triumph over the fifth-seeded duo out of Florida Southern.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bogolii is the two-time defending champion at this event in doubles.
- Two players made their Blue and White debuts.
Doubles play kicks off the action tomorrow morning, Saturday, Sept. 23, at 8 a.m.