Valdosta, Ga. – For the third year in a row, Lynn University's women's tennis team produced the doubles victors at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) South Region Championships. Diana Bogolii, winning the event for the third consecutive year, teamed up with newcomer Jan Abaza for a straight-set victory in the title match Monday morning. The duo now advances to the ITA Oracle Cup in October where they will compete on the national level.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: ITA 2017 South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Valdosta State University
Location: McKey Park / VSU Tennis Courts | Valdosta, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 22-25
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Bogolii and Abaza, the No. 3 seed in the doubles draw, squared up against familiar foes and No. 4 seed Paula Coyos and Jordana Lujan from the University of West Florida in the championship bout.
- The Fighting Knights bested the Argos in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has won the South Region doubles title five times in the past seven years.
- The Fighting Knights now qualify for the ITA Oracle Cup in Rome, Ga., beginning on Oct. 11. They will first square off against the seven other regional winners for the Division II national title. The winner from Division II enters a four-team draw for the Oracle Cup, joining the winners from NCAA Division III, NAIA and JUCO.
- Last year, Lynn dominated the South Regional. Bogolii and Rosalie Willig won their second consecutive doubles crown, while Bogolii and Willig finished first and second in the singles draw, respectively.
- Bogolli and Willig also won the DII National Title and the Oracle Cup in 2015 and 2016.
- Abaza is making her first appearance in the Blue and White this weekend.
Before heading off to the Oracle Cup, the women's tennis squad is set to compete at the Palm Beach Atlantic Invitational, beginning on Sept. 30.