Rome, Ga. – Lynn University's women's tennis team embarked on its quest for a third consecutive Division II doubles national championship at the 2017 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Oracle Cup. Diana Bogolii and Jan Abaza won their first round match in straight sets on Thursday to advance to the DII semifinals.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2017 ITA Oracle Cup
Host: Berry College
Location: Rome Tennis Center | Rome, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 12-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Bogolii and Abaza were marked as the No. 4 seed in the draw. The Fighting Knights duo took down Kristine Gegeshidze and Katie Swann of the University of Charleston in the first match of the weekend, 6-2, 6-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights were originally slated to go up against the No. 1 seed in the semifinals, but Hanna Volikova and Alina Kislitskaya of the University of Indianapolis upset the Thell-Lenntorp twins from the Academy of Art in the first round.
- Lynn has won the DII doubles national championship at this event each of the past two years, with Bogolli being a member of the tandem each time. Bogolii and Rosalie Willig would also go on to win the ITA Oracle Cup both years.
- The winner of the DII bracket will compete with the winners of the NCAA DIII, NAIA and Junior College brackets to capture the ITA Oracle Cup title. The winner of the ITA Oracle Cup earns a wildcard berth to Oracle ITA National Fall Championships, where they will compete in the same tournament as the nation's top Division I players, which takes place Nov. 1-5, in Palm Desert, Calif.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships.
The doubles semifinal contests are slated for tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 13 at 3:30 p.m.