Rome, Ga. – Lynn University's women's tennis doubles pair of Jan Abaza and Diana Bogolii suffered a tough third-set superbreaker defeat on Friday in the Division II semifinals at the 2017 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Oracle Cup.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2017 ITA Oracle Cup
Host: Berry College
Location: Rome Tennis Center | Rome, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 12-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Facing off against Hanna Volikova and Alina Kislitskaya from the University of Indianapolis, fourth-seeded Bogolii and Abaza took the opening set, 6-4, and held a solid lead in the second. The Greyhound duo rallied late however, securing their own 6-4 victory in the second set before piecing together a seven-point run in the 10-point tiebreaker for a 4-6, 6-4, 10-6 triumph.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights still have a chance to bring home the bronze, squaring off against third-seeded Kim Moosbacher and Kateryna Shkot of Oklahoma Baptist in the Division II third-place match.
- Lynn has won the DII doubles national championship at this event each of the past two years, with Bogolli being a member of the tandem each time. Bogolii and Rosalie Willig would also go on to win the ITA Oracle Cup both years.
- Lynn's women's tennis team has claimed a DII national championship at this event each of the previous four years, as Valentine Confalonieri won the singles title in 2013 and 2014 while Bogolii and Willig were doubles winners in 2015 and 2016. Daniel Riggs and Paolo Volpicelli also won the doubles title for Lynn in 2014 on the men's side.
- The winner of the DII bracket will compete with the winners of the NCAA DIII, NAIA and Junior College brackets to capture the ITA Oracle Cup title. The winner of the ITA Oracle Cup earns a wildcard berth to Oracle ITA National Fall Championships, where they will compete in the same tournament as the nation's top Division I players, which takes place Nov. 1-5, in Palm Desert, Calif.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships.
The doubles third-place match will take place Saturday, Oct. 14 at 3 p.m.