Rome, Ga. – Diana Bogolii and Jan Abaza of the Lynn University women's tennis team wrapped up their weekend at the 2017 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Oracle Cup on Saturday, winning the Division II doubles third-place match.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2017 ITA Oracle Cup
Host: Berry College
Location: Rome Tennis Center | Rome, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 12-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Fourth-seeded Bogolii and Abaza squared off against third-seeded Kim Moosbacher and Kateryna Shkot of Oklahoma Baptist in the third-place match with the Fighting Knights posting a straight-set win over the Lady Bison duo, 6-3, 6-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights were knocked out in the semifinals yesterday by the UIndy squad, who would end up winning the DII doubles national championship today.
- Abaza is in her first fall season with the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn has won the DII doubles national championship at this event each of the past two years, with Bogolli being a member of the tandem each time. Bogolii and Rosalie Willig would also go on to win the ITA Oracle Cup both years.
- Lynn's women's tennis team has claimed a DII national championship at this event each of the previous four years, as Valentine Confalonieri won the singles title in 2013 and 2014 while Bogolii and Willig were winners in 2015 and 2016. Daniel Riggs and Paolo Volpicelli also won the doubles title in 2014 on the men's side.
- The winner of the DII bracket will compete with the winners of the NCAA DIII, NAIA and Junior College brackets to capture the ITA Oracle Cup title. The winner of the ITA Oracle Cup earns a wildcard berth to Oracle ITA National Fall Championships, where they will compete in the same tournament as the nation's top Division I players, which takes place Nov. 1-5, in Palm Desert, Calif.
- The ITA Oracle Cup is formerly known as the ITA Small College National Championships.
The Fighting Knights will next head to Rollins for the C.L. Varner Memorial Invitational on Oct. 20-22.