Bradenton, Fla. – Lynn University's women's tennis team got off to a bit of a slow start on Thursday morning but quickly hit its stride as the fifth-ranked and second-seeded Fighting Knights posted a 5-0 victory over 32nd-ranked and seventh-seeded Tampa in the quarterfinals of the Sunshine State Conference Championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Tampa 0
Records: #5 Lynn (18-3), #32 Tampa (10-9)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 30-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn posted a clean sweep in doubles action for an early advantage.
- At No. 2, Diana Bogolii and Natalie Kallmunzerova logged an 8-1 triumph.
- Klaudia Boczova and Eliska Petrackova, the nation's top-ranked doubles team, along with Eleonora Liga and Federica Mordegan, each secured 8-3 wins at the first and third doubles flights, respectively.
- The two veterans on the squad brought home the Fighting Knights' win in straight-sets during singles action.
- Sixth-ranked Boczova won at the top spot, 6-1, 6-1, with No. 63 Bogolii taking No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-3.
- Mordegan, Kallmunzerova, Petrackova and Liga all won their opening sets in their respective singles matches at the two, four, five and six positions.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the No. 2 seed in the tournament with Tampa claiming the No. 7 seed.
- These two teams just met less than two weeks ago in Lynn's second-to-last regular-season contest.
- Lynn also defeated Tampa 5-0 in last year's SSC quarterfinals.
- The Blue and White have won 5-0 in the SSC quarterfinals in four straight tournaments.
Lynn will take on No. 6 seed Nova Southeastern in the semifinals tomorrow, Friday, April 20 at 10 a.m.