Bradenton, Fla. – Lynn University's women's tennis team kept the ball rolling on Friday morning as the fifth-ranked and second-seeded Fighting Knights bested 30th-ranked and sixth-seeded Nova Southeastern University in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament semifinals, 5-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, NSU 1
Records: #5 Lynn (19-3), #30 NSU (9-14)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 30-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights uncharacteristically took a loss at the top doubles flight, but did come out with a 2-1 edge.
- Eleonora Liga and Federica Mordegan got things started with an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles before Diana Bogolii and Natalie Kallmunzerova tallied an 8-2 victory at No. 2.
- The Sharks notched their lone point of the day at No. 1 doubles in a battle of top-10 doubles squads (8-5).
- Kallmunzerova and Liga carried over the momentum into singles play as the former won at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1 with Liga dominating the No. 6 matchup (6-0, 6-0).
- After a close first set, sixth-ranked Klaudia Boczova opened things up in the second set to clinch the match for Lynn at No. 1 singles over No. 28 Ana Navas (6-3, 6-0).
- Mordegan and Eliska Petrackova each won their first set at the second and fifth singles flights, respectively.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the No. 2 seed in the tournament with Nova Southeastern holding the No. 6 seed.
- Boczova and Petrackova, the top-ranked doubled team in the nation, suffered their first doubles loss of the season as a pair. They had won their first 13 doubles matches this season as a tandem.
- Lynn will face top-seeded and nationally top-ranked Barry in tomorrow's SSC Championship match. The two programs have occupied the final match against each other the past three seasons, with Barry winning last year, 5-4, and Lynn winning in 2016, 5-3.
Lynn and Barry square off in the championship match Saturday, April 21, at 9 a.m.