Altamonte Springs, Fla. – Lynn University's top-ranked women's tennis team continued its hot play on Thursday at the NCAA National Championships, posting a 4-0 shutout over No. 12 North Georgia in the quarterfinals. The Fighting Knights advance to the NCAA National Semifinals for the second time in the past three years.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, North Georgia 0
Records: #1 Lynn (26-0), #12 UNG (22-6)
Location: Sanlando Park | Altamonte Springs, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Identical to yesterday's opening round bout, the Fighting Knights No. 1 and No. 3 doubles squads posted victories to secure the early 1-0 advantage.
· The six singles matches saw the Blue and White take the opening set on each court, before Lynn clinched the match with three straight-set triumphs.
· Grib (6-2, 6-0) and Mordegan (6-2, 6-1) registered victories at the second and third singles flights for the second straight day.
· Petrackova closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles.
· Jeanjean, Liga and Pigato were all nearing in on victory in their respective second sets at the first, fourth and sixth positions.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
· For the first time, all 16 teams at the NCAA National Championships received a seed coming into the tournament. Lynn is the No. 3 seed and UNG is the No. 6 seed.
· The Blue and White defeated Nova Southeastern last week to win the South Region II bracket, clinching the team's 20th appearance at the NCAA National Championships in the past 23 years.
· Lynn has won the NCAA National Championship three times with six runner-up finishes.
· Jeanjean improves to 27-0 in doubles action this season. Her 27 doubles victories are tied for most ever in a season in program history while she is the only Fighting Knight to ever win more than 23 doubles contests in a season without a loss.
· These two programs have met just one other time, with Lynn winning last season (7-2) in a regular-season neutral-site matchup.
Lynn advances to the NCAA National Semifinals where it will take on No. 2 seeded and No. 6 ranked University of Indianapolis tomorrow, Friday, May 23 at 9 a.m.