Tampa, Fla. – A long break for a young team before heading into a conference weekend against two of the best programs in the league proved to be a tall task as Lynn University's volleyball team was swept in Sunshine State Conference action at the University of Tampa on Saturday, 3-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 3, Lynn 0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-17)
Records: Tampa (3-7, 1-1 SSC), Lynn (2-3, 0-2 SSC)
Location: Martinez Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-Time Series: Tampa leads 41-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- For the second consecutive match in her debut weekend, Rafaela Fonseca contributed on both sides of play for the Fighting Knights. The junior tallied nine kills, three aces, four digs and a block.
- Sonja Udovic (3) and Marcella De Vuono (2) were the only other Fighting Knights to tally multiple kills. De Vuono led the front-line defense with two blocks, including a solo stuff.
- Setter Angala Jensen recorded team-high in assists (11) and digs (8), while Andrea McDonald and Jaja Perkins each picked up seven digs.
- For Tampa, Taylor Fosler posted 10 kills on 13 swings with one error while hitting .692.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's four service aces matches the season-high.
- Both of Lynn's two victories over Tampa in their series history dating back to 1997 have come in the past two seasons (2015 & 2016).
- Lynn's 14 total assists are the program's lowest output in a match since 2002.
- The Fighting Knights also saw season-lows in kills, hitting percentage and digs.
- Tampa has not been ranked in the AVCA Top-25 for the past two weeks, after having been ranked in 284 consecutive polling periods dating back to the 1995 campaign.
Lynn returns home for three matches next week, starting with its home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 26 vs. Nova Southeastern at 7 p.m.