Saint Leo, Fla. – After a slow start in the first set, Lynn University's volleyball team went toe-to-toe the rest of the way with No. 19 Saint Leo on the road Friday night. The Fighting Knights took a tough 26-24 setback in the second frame and faced elimination in the third down 23-19 before stringing together six straight points. The home side ultimately secured the Sunshine State Conference tilt in four sets, 3-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #19 Saint Leo 3, Lynn 1 (25-13, 26-24, 23-25, 25-22)
Records: #19 Saint Leo (11-1, 6-1 SSC), Lynn (4-6, 2-5 SSC)
Location: Bowman Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Saint Leo leads 26-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Sophomore outside Sonja Udovcic continues to provide consistent effort on both sides of the ball, tallying her fifth straight double-double tonight, as she led the Fighting Knights with 15 kills and tied for the team-lead with 13 digs. She also tied for second on the squad with five blocks.
- Marcella De Vuono had the most efficient hitting night on the team (.200), recording eight kills and four blocks.
- Andrea McDonald and Rafaela Fonseca each matched Udovcic's 13 digs while Fonseca added seven kills on offense.
- Jaja Perkins and Lauren Odom entered the match from the second frame on and both made an impact. Odom stood tall with nine blocks and three kills through three sets played while Perkins picked up 12 digs and five blocks.
- Setter Angala Jensen posted another double-double with 34 assists and 11 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Saint Leo was Lynn's first nationally-ranked opponent of the season. As it stands now, Saint Leo and No. 4 Palm Beach Atlantic are the remaining ranked opponents left on Lynn's slate.
- The Fighting Knights took down two nationally-ranked foes last season.
- Udovcic secured her fifth straight double-double and now has eight through 10 matches this season.
- The Fighting Knights' 14 total blocks is their second-highest output this season and the most in a four-set match.
The Fighting Knights have one more road contest before the South Region Crossover, heading south to Barry University on Tuesday, Oct. 10 for a 7 p.m. league matchup.