Miami Shores, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team rallied itself from the brink of defeat yet again on Tuesday night as the Fighting Knights fought valiantly from a 2-0 deficit to force a fifth set with host Barry University. The Bucs squeaked out the decider in extra points, 16-14, to pick up a 3-2 Sunshine State Conference victory over the Blue and White.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 3, Lynn 2 (25-22, 25-18, 19-25, 25-27, 16-14)
Records: Barry (6-4, 4-4 SSC), Lynn (4-7, 2-6 SSC)
Location: Health and Sports Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 31-11
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Rafaela Fonseca got off to a quick start with a solid early showing on both sides of the ball, ultimately leading the offense in kills with 14 while hitting at a .200 clip. She added seven digs on defense, including three in the opening frame.
- Sonja Udovcic continued her streak of posting double-digit kills, putting away 12 along with 13 digs and an ace.
- Jaja Perkins secured her third career double-double, rounding out Lynn's trio of attackers in double figures with 10 kills and an ace. Defensively, she picked up 10 digs and co-led the squad with four block assists.
- Libero Andrea McDonald boasted a match-high 21 digs, her seventh outing this season with over 20.
- Alessia Di Rosa saw her first career action in a blue and white uniform with the starting nod at the setter position. She finished with 46 assists, two kills, an ace, five digs and a block.
- Lynn's middle blockers attacked efficiently as Lauren Odom tallied eight kills at a .353 hitting clip and Marcella De Vuono bounced seven kills at .333. The duo combined for six block assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Brooke Creteau was the only Fighting Knight to drop in two service aces, marking the first multi-ace game of her career.
- The Fighting Knights have gone to five sets in six of 11 matches so far this season. Three of those six were after being down 2-0.
- Lynn is still looking for its first road win of the season.
The Blue and White take a break from conference action as the squad travels to Alabama this weekend for the annual South Region Crossover. Lynn first faces off against Christian Brothers at 12:15 on Friday, Oct. 13.