BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's volleyball team continues to provide its A-game when powerhouse University of Tampa comes to town as the Fighting Knights posted a 3-1 victory on Thursday night, marking the third consecutive year with a win over the Spartans inside the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Tampa 1 (25-23, 27-25, 14-25, 25-21)
Records: Lynn (6-12, 4-8 SSC), Tampa (11-12, 6-6 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads 40-3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Outsides Sonja Udovcic and Rafaela Fonseca provided the volume on both sides of the ball for double-doubles. Udovcic knocked down a team-high 18 kills at a .234 hitting clip to go along with 14 digs while Fonseca led the back row with 16 digs and added 14 kills.
- Freshman middle blocker Lauren Odom had a breakout game offensively, putting away a career-high 11 kills behind a team-best .429 attack percentage. She played a part in five of Lynn's 10 blocks in the match, including the only solo stuff.
- Marcella De Vuono logged eight kills (.389) and five blocks while right side Jaja Perkins posted a team-high six blocks.
- In her second match as the team's primary setter, senior Nicol Colonna continued to run the offense fruitfully. She registered a career-high 49 assists along with three kills, 12 digs and two blocks.
- Sophomore defensive specialist Ariana Rodriguez led the match with three service aces, including the first ace of her career.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Since Lynn shocked No. 1 Tampa in Boca Raton during the 2015 season, the Fighting Knights have not lost at home to the Spartans since. That night, Lynn defeated Tampa for the first time in 18 years and 38 matchups, halting Tampa's incredible 59-match winning streak in Sunshine State Conference play.
- Over the past two matches (seven sets) since Colonna has taken over at the setter position, she has logged 90 assists, good for 12.86 per set. The conference leader averages 11.32 on the year.
- Statistically, Lynn had its weakest game of the season earlier in the year on the road at Tampa where the Spartans won 3-0.
Lynn closes out its three-match home week with a 4 p.m. contest against Florida Southern this Saturday, Oct. 28.