Boca Raton, Fla. – The Lynn University cross country team opened its 2017 season on Friday evening, competing in the FAU Invitational at South County Regional Park in Boca Raton, Florida. The Fighting Knights placed fifth out of the Non-Division I programs at the meet, with Lauren Leckenby leading the charge.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Location: South County Regional Park | Boca Raton, Fla.
Race Length: 5K – 3.1 miles
History at Event: Third appearance (Best finish – 3rd place in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In her first-ever collegiate race, Lauren Leckenby led the Fighting Knights with a time of 23:15.85. She finished 73rd overall out of the 101-runner field.
- Fellow newcomers Emily Glass and Gaylen Martin were right on Leckenby's heels, crossing with times of 23:45.52 and 24:09.91, respectively.
- Caroline Sweeney and Amanda Hennessey rounded out the scoring runners for the Fighting Knights, clocking in at 24:47.28 and 25:35.56.
- Amanda Hennessey, Mandi Cohen and Arianna Spencer also competed for the Blue and White on the day.
BEYOND THE FINISH LINE:
- This marks the third season in a row in which the Fighting Knights have opened the season at the FAU Invitational.
- Six of the seven runners for the Lynn made their collegiate running debuts, marking the first time any of them had raced in a competitive 5k event.
- Assistant coach Jessica MacConnie got her first taste of collegiate coaching at the meet as she made her Lynn debut on the sidelines.
The Blue and White get right back at it, competing on Saturday morning at Holloway Park in Lakeland, Florida, at the Holloway Park Preseason Festival. The race kicks off at 8 a.m. and is hosted by Florida Southern.