Charlotte, N.C. – The Lynn University cross country program picked up an 11th-place finish on Friday afternoon at the Royals XC Challenge in Charlotte, North Carolina, as 25 teams and 220 runners from the South and Southeast regions competed at McAlpine Park. Kate Fisher shattered the 5K record for the Fighting Knights, posting a blazing-fast time of 17:54 to finish eighth overall.
INSIDE THE MEET:Location: McAlpine Park | Charlotte, N.C.
Race Length: 5K – 3.1 miles
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fisher's top time in program history broke the record by 50 seconds, and was the first time a Lynn runner crossed the line in less than 18 minutes.
- Alexandra Jones finished second for the Fighting Knights, clocking in with a time of 19:12 to finish 48th overall in the large field.
- Emily Christensen posted a time of 19:45 for the Blue and White, checking in 76th overall with her fastest 5K time yet.
- Chase Yoder and Natalie Beck rounded out the scorers for Lynn, posting times of 20:27 and 20:50.
- Sydney Parks finished right on Beck's heels, also posting a time of 20:50 as the teammates tallied back-to-back finishes.
- Darby Watts and Lauren Leckenby rounded out the competitors for the Fighting Knights, registering times of 20:59 and 21:35.
BEYOND THE FINISH LINE:
- The first four runners to cross the line for Lynn finished with times that broke into the top-10 in program history on Friday.
- Fisher now has two of the top-10 times in program history after running a time of 19:38.97 in her last outing.
- Head Coach Chris Wood has coached the runners that have posted four of the top times in program history.
- The Fighting Knights were third out of four Sunshine State Conference teams at the meet, finishing behind Saint Leo and Tampa, while topping Florida Tech by one spot.
Lynn is back in action on Oct. 13 when it travels to Tampa for the USF Invitational at 5 p.m.