Lakeland, Fla. – The Lynn University cross country team recorded its best team finish at the NCAA Division II South Regional Championship in program history on Saturday morning, placing 14th out of 16 teams at Holloway Park.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Holloway Park | Lakeland, Florida
Race Length: 6k – 3.73 miles
History at Event: Second appearance as a team (Placed 16th in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Alexandra Jones led the way for the Fighting Knights once again, marking the second-consecutive race that the freshman has paced her team. She crossed the line 22nd overall out of 116 racers with a time of 23:09.26.
- Kate Fisher followed Jones with a time of 24:13.99 to finish 57 overall.
- Emily Christensen and Natalie Beck finished back-to-back at 25:14.92 and 25:16.49, taking the 83 and 84 place spots, respectively.
- Sydney Parks rounded out the scorers for the Fighting Knights, finishing 90th overall at 25:27.34.
- Darby Watts and Lauren Leckenby also competed for the Fighting Knights at the event.
BEYOND THE FINISH LINE:
- This is the second consecutive season that Lynn has competed as a team at the NCAA Regionals.
- Fisher and Jones were the top two finishers for Lynn in each of the five races they ran this season.
- Jones' time was good for the sixth-fastest 6k race in program history.
- Fisher and Jones each set personal records for 6k times at the meet, besting their previous best times which they recorded at the Sunshine State Conference Championship in October.
- Lynn got a preview of the course on the first weekend of the season, racing in a 3k event at Holloway Park.
- This is the first time that all five of the Fighting Knights' scoring runners have placed inside the top-100 finishers at the event.
Lynn finishes its season after posting multiple historic performances for the program. The year included a re-writing of the 5k record book, team-best finishes and personal records for nearly all runners.