Orlando, Fla. – Matilda Wahren took runner-up honors following a one-hole playoff and Lynn University's third-ranked women's golf team took fifth place at the Rollins Legends Invitational. This is the first runner-up finish for Wahren this season and the second of her career.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 5th out of 11 teams
Location: Country Club of Orlando| Orlando, Fla.
History at Event: Second consecutive appearance (T-5th in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the second consecutive round Lynn posted one of the lowest scores of the day. The squad's 299 was second-best, next to Nova Southeastern's 209. Overall Lynn shot 907, 12 shots back of winner Dallas Baptist (895). NSU (899) claimed second with host Rollins (903) finishing third and Barry (904) in fourth.
- Wahren carded a one-over par 73 but a bogey on her final hole put her into a playoff with Saint Leo's Synne Lauritzen, which Lauritzen won on the first hole. Wahren shot 75-73-70 for a two-over 218.
- Amber Lee Svendsen traded three birdies with two bogeys for a 71 in the final round. Her 226 total put her into a tie for 17th individually.
- Helen Kreuzer shot her best score of the tournament with a two-over 74 for a 54-hole score of 227.
- Both Honor Keilty and Camila Ugalde Gomez totaled scores of 240, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Svendsen's set career-bests for 18-hole (71) and 54-hole totals (226).
- Wahren logged her fourth consecutive top-10 finish, becoming the first golfer since Jenny Ayala in 2016 to finish in the top-10 in every fall tournament and third overall (Jessica Bradley fall 2013 and fall 2014, Natasha Morgan fall 2006).
- This is also Wahren's ninth top-10 finish as a member of the Fighting Knights and 12th of her career.
- Lynn ended play second in total pars (167) and third in par 4 scoring (+43).
- Wahren was tied for the lead in par 4 scoring (+2) and was the overall eader in total pars (40).
- Lynn finished in the top-five of all four fall tournaments.
The Fighting Knights have concluded play in the fall and will return to the links on Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, at the World Golf Invitational at the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, Fla., hosted by Flagler. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.